The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Tipping the Restaurant Scales

Started by RW, June 06, 2015, 08:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

It seems to be a topic of discussion - the doing away with tipping.  It doesn't seem to be a bonus for good service so much as a mandatory or expected payment in addition to the cost of your meal.  Many places use tipping as a means of cost saving on wages.

Now we know if we did away with tipping we would be punishing the very people it's meant to support - the underpaid wait stuff.  But why is it our responsibility to monetarily compensate a business's employees?

Tipping has also spilled into so many other areas like salon services, delivery services, etc.  Isnt paying for these services in the first place enough?

Should we do away with it?  Should we leave well enough alone?  Should we develop a built in gratuity like parts of Europe?

Personally, I'm sick and tired of tipping.
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

I'm sick of tipping as well, Just the other day my brother and i were at a restaurant and the service was shit, if it was me picking up the tap the girl would have got less of a tip then what my brother left her, AND i would have sat there while she looked at it and explained to her that her service blew goats.

Be gone with it i say!!

Renee

If you people don't want to tip then fully expect it to be reflected in the cost of the service you receive. AND then you will have NO control over how much it is regardless of the level of service. If employers are left picking up the slack in the pay scale then it's going back on the customer one way or the other.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Renee"If you people don't want to tip then fully expect it to be reflected in the cost of the service you receive. AND then you will have NO control over how much it is regardless of the level of service. If employers are left picking up the slack in the pay scale then it's going back on the customer one way or the other.

I agree.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Odinson

We dont have the tipping culture.

J0E

I don't mind tipping if the service is good.

I usually tip, but at the same time frequent places where the service is good.

I don't usually hang out in shabby joints where the service is poor or I had sub standard service on a previous occasion.

One food establishment where the service has been especially poor is Burger King.

From employees failing to give u the proper orders, or arguing with customers and fighting with their coworkers, Burger King IMHO has been the worst.

Of course they don't. Get tips, but perhaps that's one of the reasons its such a shit joint.

If you don't give anything extra to the employees, then don't like their jobs or give anythin' back.

Renee

When Joe/Frank drove a cab, he lived on tips otherwise he would have starved. ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

Waiters here get the worker pay...

They dont get tips... They get enough money.

Maybe they get a provision from sales..

I have my favourite waitresses.

Annie

I waited tables in the 80's and 90's and tips were a big thing then. Mainly they were good, the only thing to watch out for is other waitresses stealing them  acc_angry On a good night I'd go home with 50 bucks cash and change in my purse. And when I was pregnant my tips were friggin awesome! Totally pissed off the other waitresses.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

J0E

Quote from: "Annie"I waited tables in the 80's and 90's and tips were a big thing then. Mainly they were good, the only thing to watch out for is other waitresses stealing them  acc_angry On a good night I'd go home with 50 bucks cash and change in my purse. And when I was pregnant my tips were friggin awesome! Totally pissed off the other waitresses.

do women waitresses steal from each other too, Annie?

I know that guys do in the Restaurant biz.

I know when I was in the Restaurant biz, one guy was stealing from all the other workers, includin' me.

Someone finally outed him, he no come back to work again.

But I thought women were more honest. Maybe not, eh?

Most of the waitresses I dealt with were fairly honest.

when the collected tips, they gave a share to the rest of the staff.

Annie

When I worked at one restaurant and first starting as a bus girl, the other busgirl would take the tips off the tables and instead of putting it in the correct waitresses cup, she'd keep it in her apron pocket. Pissed me that she did that, she would always make sure when it was our shifts she got the apron with the pockets just so she could be more sneaky. I brought it to the manager's attention and when other waitresses got wind they confronted her. She threw a hissy fit and walked out with the apron full of cash, I could see she was just loaded and hardly any waitresses got they're tips when she did their tables.

Some waitresses did the same, they'd scoop other's tips of the tables. I've seen and experienced that at every restaurant I worked at.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

@realAzhyaAryola

I had a different experience. The wait staff gave me some of their tips.

One summer when I was 18, I worked in an Italian restaurant. I prepared all the beverages and set out the desserts. I helped the wait staff by doing this. There was a little basket on the counter into which the wait staff would put some of their tips to tip me for helping them out. I thought that was awesome. I appreciated it. So, based on that, I think it should stay. I think if you were in the other end of the spectrum, you too would appreciate the tips.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Annie

If you think about it, once tips are divvied up between all staff, they're lucky to go home with 20 bucks. Unless it's The Keg or something. We went to The Keg for an anniversary.  The waiter was shitty and inexperienced. Before we were even finished our meal he gave us the bill. We were going to go up to the till to pay our bill with a credit card.  Our total bill was about 65 bucks, the waiter offered to do it for us and he grabbed our bill and credit card.  When he came back with the return bill I noticed he tacked on a gratuity of 35 bucks.  Little turd! We were going to leave cash on the table but not that much for shitty service  acc_angry